Away from the cacophonic noise of the city and the chaos of the fast-paced life, Himalayas offers the much-needed serenity. The Himalayas is also a trekkers paradise with its countless trekking trails. The lush green valleys, snow-capped mountains, cool streams are sure to make anyone feel elated while trekking close to nature. If you too are planning a trekking trip to the Himalayas, it is advisable to be prepared in advance and avoid any last minute hassle. We give you five trekking safety tips so that you enjoy your hike safely and in a hassle-free manner.
1. Keep Yourself Hydrated
Water is important for living, but more often than not people forget to drink enough water during the trekking because they are busy enjoying the beautiful landscape and awesome weather. Most of the trekkers drink only when they feel thirsty, but by that time the body is already dehydrated, which in turn makes you tired. Keep yourself hydrated throughout the trek. Make sure you drink water after every half an hour or so. Even if you take just a sip of water.
2. Consider the Weather Conditions
Weather conditions are highly unpredictable in a mountainous region. If you are trekking to a rural village with less or no proper medical facility or hiking to a remote area, it is advisable to be informed about the weather condition in the next few days or weeks in advance. You can keep track of the weather conditions for your required period of time by using reliable weather apps.
3. Avoid Trekking at Night
As trekking trails are full of boulders and uneven paths, and most of the mountainous routes lack electricity, it is recommended to avoid trekking during the night. It may not be your first time for trekking, it is still advisable to never overlook any kind of irregularities of any hint of a problem. Always try to keep yourself safe when trekking in the wild.
4. Pack Sunglasses for Snowy Trails
Snow blindness is one of the common causes among snow trekkers due to one’s eyes exposed to excessive radiation. As snow absorbs only 25 percent of the sunlight falling on its surface and reflects the remaining 75 percent, direct exposure to the excessive radiation can damage the capillaries in the eyes. It is recommended to carry sunglasses along, whenever you plan a trekking trip to the snowy Himalayas.
5. Carry Trekking Essentials
Trekkers usually pack tightly to avoid the weight of extra baggage. Make sure you are not the weird one who keeps borrowing things every now and then. It is a good idea to prepare a checklist of the items you would require during the trek. Include essentials such as first aid kit, sunscreen, power bank, flashlight, fresh batteries, and enough warm clothes. Make sure you don’t overdo with the essentials. Pack lightly and sufficiently.
Where to Stay!
When Trekking in Himalayas, it is important to find a hotel that offers access to as many trekking trails as possible and also offers enough adventures activities to make the most of your free time, especially when the weather conditions are unfavorable. Plan your stay with Rakkh, a renowned name among top Dharamshala hotels & resorts, where tradition combines with contemporary ambiance, ensuring a most serene stay. We, at Rakkh, have specially designed hikes and bike trails in and around Dharamshala passing through surrounding natural landscape, quaint Himachal villages, hilltop temples, and local Tibetan monasteries. To make a booking, fill out our contact form or simply call L: 0124-4908-616/ M: + 91 8800409567 or +91 9816999300.